In the same way that we did last week, we'll have group critiques from 2:30-4:30pm. Please sign up for a group at the beginning of the class. I'll be around from 2:00-2:30pm to answer any questions you may have about the homework, software, etc.
Group 1 ☛ 2:30–3:00pm
Group 2 ☛ 3:00–3:30pm
Group 3 ☛ 3:30–4:00pm
Group 4 ☛ 4:00–4:30pm
- Specimen Cover
- Typeface History (Research)
- Type Designer(s) Biography (Research)
- Type Designer(s) Typographic Portrait
- Character Set page or spread
- Typeface anatomy spread showing key characters of the typeface and highlighting important details. (Baseline, kind of serif, contrast, etc.)
- Showings of all the fonts in the typeface using the word Hamburgefontsiv or Handgloves or a word that shows the key characters of the typeface,
- Short paragraph samples showing each font in the typeface
- A sample page or a spread showing how all the fonts work together
- Large-size showings of each font
- A mix of large and small size showings in playful compositions
- Fonts in Use
- Mockups of designed objects / brands
- 3 specimen sheets (bookmarks, posters, wrapping paper, postcards, etc.)
On December 1st we will visit the Herb Lubalin Study Center of Design and Typography at Cooper Union. On that day we will meet at 41 Cooper Square. This is one of the most important sessions in the class. Alexander Tochilovsky (Sasha), the curator of the Lubalin Center, has generously agreed to open the archive and give us a special talk about design history through objects in the archive and how it can help you become a better designer. Please show up on early.
Date and Time
Friday, Dec 1st, 2017
2:00 PM – 4:50 PM EST
*If some of you have a class that ends right before my class. Please head to the Lubalin Center as soon as you can, it will be worth your time. Everyone else, please show up on time! This is a once in a lifetime opportunity.
Herb Lubalin Study Center
41 Cooper Square Room LL119
New York, NY 10003
DUE NEXT WEEK
Final 16-page version of your type specimen and three specimen sheets.