- Open InDesign & hit Cmd+N to create a new document
- Intent = Print
- Check Facing Pages
- No. of Pages = 8
- Page Size = Custom (Portrait)
Name = Booklet01, Width = 5in, Height = 6.5in
- Check Preview
- Column Number = 3, Gutter = 12pt or 1p0
- Margin = 24pt or 2p0
- Bleed = .125in or 0p9
- Hit Ok
- Hit Cmd+K to access the Preference window and go to the Grids tab.
- Color = Light Gray
- Start = 0
- increment = 6pt
- View Threshold = 5%
- Hit Ok
Units & Increments
- Hit Cmd+K to access the Preference window and go to the Units and Increments tab.
- Kerning/Tracking = 2/1000em
- Go to the Layout Menu and select Ruler Guides and change the color to Red
- Go to the Layout Menu and select Create Guides and change the color to Red
- Create rulers 6 rows, 12pt gutter, fit guides to Margin
- Hit Ok
Text Frame Options
- Hit T and make a text box
- Hit Cmd+B and on the Baseline Option tab set the Offset to Leading
- Hit Ok
pg 1 — Cover
pg 2 — Contents
pg 3 — History: Antecedents
pg 4 — History: Evolution of the modern grid
pg 5 — History: Reaction and reassessment
pg 6 — History: Grid use in web design
pg 7 — Software
pg 8 — References
The Geometry of a Scene by Tony Zhuo
Goudy & Syracuse: The Tale of a Typeface Found
Typographics 2015: The Picture in The Word with Abbott Miller (Abbott’s talk starts at 3:44).
Using the grid we developed in class, turn Martin Luther King Jr.'s Speech into a series of 3 booklets.
- Using Minion Pro: Regular, Bold, and Regular Italic.
- Using Helvetica: Regular, Bold, and Regular Italic
- Combining Both Minion and Helvetica
- Cover Page
- Smallest allowed point size is 6pt.
- Smallest lines pace size is 12pt—increase or decrease by multiples of 6. For example 15/18, 20/24, etc. See what looks right for you.
- Text size 9.5/12 (this means 9.5 point size and 12 pt line space)
- You must use all 8 pages
- Bring trimmed spreads to next class
- See image below for reference.
Answer the following questions before the beginning of next class:
- How did Minion influence your booklet design? Where do you think it works best? Why?
- How did Helvetica influence your booklet design? Where do you think it works best? Why?
- In what ways did you combine Minion and Helvetica? Why?
Adobe InDesign: Formatting text paragraph styles
Adobe InDesign: Formatting text character styles
- Open your document and go File > Print Booklet.
- On the Print Booklet window — Setup
Booklet Type: 2-up Saddle Stitch
Check Automatically Adjust to fit Marks and Bleeds
Check Print Blank Printer Spreads
Click on the Print Settings... button at the bottom of the window.
- On the Print Window — Setup
Paper Size: US Letter
Scale: Width 100% Height 100%
Page Position: Centered
- On the Print Window — Marks and Bleeds
Check Crop Marks
Click on the Printer… button at the bottom of the window.
- On the Warning Window
- On the Print window
Select printer 124 (recomended by IT).
Pages per Sheet: 1
Two-Sided: Short-Edge binding
Click Print to exit the Print Window
Click OK to exit the previous Print Window
- Check the Preview option on the Print Booklet Window.
If everything looks fine, click Print.